my story
Have you ever played the game "telephone"? You know, the one where the first person whispers a message to the person next to them...and they pass it to the next...and so forth. And then, it's funny to hear how the message evolved during communication.
I'm part of that game in real life right now...People are passing along information about me (out of concern and love) which is fine, but in a couple cases, it's getting twisted into inaccurate facts. (Cuz some of it is coming back to me). I just want to share "my story" so you'll know it from me.
I had a blister from new shoes...it was healing, no big deal. Friday, while out of town with a friend in Louisville, it was hurting a lot. I took my shoes off to check it out and it was majorly red and irritated. We decided to walk a block to the CVS that closed in 20 minutes...got peroxide, neosporin and bandages. My friend played nurse and took care of me and went to bed. On Saturday, I bandaged it up and went about the day. By the afternoon, it was hurting some and chalked it up to sitting all day. When I got home that night around 9:00, I took my shoe off to discover that my entire foot was swollen and red! So, off Charles and I go to the ER, expecting to have them clean it out, give me some antibiotics and send me on my way. However...because of related conditions, they sent me to the "major" side of the ER instead of the "minor" side. The doctor mentioned that he could make a case for me being admitted and a case for me not. In an attempt to convey the seriousness of my infection, he mentioned amputation! Someone else in the ER waited a week before going in and his foot WAS being amputated so it was a good thing I went when I did! Then it was determined that I would be admitted for treatment and observation. I received 2 antibiotics via IV, a tetnus shot, blood cultures, wound cultures and x-rays. I wait FOREVER to find out that they decided to send me home with 2 more antibiotics (which I found out yesterday from my dr. that they are 2 very aggressive ones-people usually only get one or the other and they must have been worried if they gave me both). The ER staff neglected to tell me my official diagnosis (which may have been a good thing)...an aggressive staph infection. My dr. said that staph infections are becoming like an epidemic and can easily be life-threatening. Ok, REALLY glad I went to the hospital when I did. So, the good news is that I'm NOT dead, my foot is NOT being amputated, I'm NOT in the hospital, my body IS reacting to the aggressive treatment. The bad news is that I'm off work ALL week - and bored already!
So, that's my story...and I apologize to those of you who received text messages and phone calls from Charles in the middle of the night...I'm sorry your sleep was interrupted because of me! We appreciate everyone's concern and the many offers to help. I'm ok, we have plenty of food, I'm getting caught up on my magazines and catalogs. We still do not have internet at home, so I'll probably be away from email until Monday at least.
I'm part of that game in real life right now...People are passing along information about me (out of concern and love) which is fine, but in a couple cases, it's getting twisted into inaccurate facts. (Cuz some of it is coming back to me). I just want to share "my story" so you'll know it from me.
I had a blister from new shoes...it was healing, no big deal. Friday, while out of town with a friend in Louisville, it was hurting a lot. I took my shoes off to check it out and it was majorly red and irritated. We decided to walk a block to the CVS that closed in 20 minutes...got peroxide, neosporin and bandages. My friend played nurse and took care of me and went to bed. On Saturday, I bandaged it up and went about the day. By the afternoon, it was hurting some and chalked it up to sitting all day. When I got home that night around 9:00, I took my shoe off to discover that my entire foot was swollen and red! So, off Charles and I go to the ER, expecting to have them clean it out, give me some antibiotics and send me on my way. However...because of related conditions, they sent me to the "major" side of the ER instead of the "minor" side. The doctor mentioned that he could make a case for me being admitted and a case for me not. In an attempt to convey the seriousness of my infection, he mentioned amputation! Someone else in the ER waited a week before going in and his foot WAS being amputated so it was a good thing I went when I did! Then it was determined that I would be admitted for treatment and observation. I received 2 antibiotics via IV, a tetnus shot, blood cultures, wound cultures and x-rays. I wait FOREVER to find out that they decided to send me home with 2 more antibiotics (which I found out yesterday from my dr. that they are 2 very aggressive ones-people usually only get one or the other and they must have been worried if they gave me both). The ER staff neglected to tell me my official diagnosis (which may have been a good thing)...an aggressive staph infection. My dr. said that staph infections are becoming like an epidemic and can easily be life-threatening. Ok, REALLY glad I went to the hospital when I did. So, the good news is that I'm NOT dead, my foot is NOT being amputated, I'm NOT in the hospital, my body IS reacting to the aggressive treatment. The bad news is that I'm off work ALL week - and bored already!
So, that's my story...and I apologize to those of you who received text messages and phone calls from Charles in the middle of the night...I'm sorry your sleep was interrupted because of me! We appreciate everyone's concern and the many offers to help. I'm ok, we have plenty of food, I'm getting caught up on my magazines and catalogs. We still do not have internet at home, so I'll probably be away from email until Monday at least.

2 Comments:
Ronda-Only you:)
I could start a whole new slew of rumors on the subject. You know the type: "I was there..., you should have seen it..., blood everywhere..., passed out cold..." etc. but I won't :) I really hope that you are back up and about, and that your body is adjusting back into your normal, fast-paced routines. Love ya!
Post a Comment
<< Home